Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Air Force ROTC Detachment 905

Frequently Asked Questions



How do I enroll as a cadet in AFROTC Detachment 905?

  1. Enroll as a full-time student any of the following:
    • Washington State University
    • University of Idaho
    • Whitworth University
    • Lewis-Clark State College
  2. Visit our New Cadet Orientation page for more details!

Can I join AFROTC in the…

  • Fall?  Yes. Most cadets begin AFROTC in the Fall term.
  • Spring?   Yes, but fewer students start AFROTC in the Spring term. You would likely complete a hybrid 3.5 year program. To catch up with your peers, you will need to double-up on General Military Course classes next Fall.
  • Summer?  No. AFROTC classes are not offered during the summer term.

Can I join AFROTC after school starts, even if I’ve missed a few weeks of class?

  • The university maintains a course “last day to add” date, however it may be possible for us to enroll you as a cadet following this date. Contact a cadre member to discuss if late enrollment is the right fit for you.



Can I enroll as an AFROTC cadet as a…

  • College Freshman?  Yes. You are a good candidate for the 4 or 5 year commissioning program.
  • Sophomore?  Yes. You are a good candidate for the 4 year commissioning program. There may be opportunities for you to complete the program in 3 years. Contact one of our cadre members to discuss your options.
  • Junior?  Maybe. The 3 year commissioning program may be an option for you, however AFROTC seeks to recruit and train individuals working on their first undergraduate degree. Officer Training School (OTS) is probably a better fit.
  • Senior?  In most cases, no. AFROTC seeks to recruit and train individuals working on their first undergraduate degree. There are limited opportunities available if you plan to attend law or medical school. Otherwise OTS is a better fit.
  • Graduate Student?  In most cases, no. AFROTC seeks to recruit and train individuals working on their first undergraduate degree. There are limited opportunities if you are a current law or medical student, or plan to apply to law or medical school. Otherwise, OTS is a better fit.
  • Transfer Student?  It depends. If you have at least 3 years left in your plan of study and have never before been a cadet, you are may a good candidate for one of our commissioning programs. If you were once a cadet at a previous detachment, contact one of our cadre members to see if AFROTC is the right fit for you.
  • Prior-service member?  Yes, if you do not yet completed your bachelor’s degree. Based on the length of your prior experience, and the number of credits you have left to complete your bachelor’s degree, you may qualify for one or more semesters of AFROTC course accreditation. If this applies to you, contact one of our cadre members to discuss.

What are the enrollment requirements to join AFROTC Detachment 905?

  • Enroll as a full-time student at WSU, UI, WU, or LCSC
  • Enter required application information into WINGS
  • Present original identification documents
  • Complete in-processing paperwork at NSO or in a 1-on-1 appointment
  • Complete and submit a sports physical via AFROTC Form 28
    • A qualified DoD Medical Exam can take the place of the sports physical
  • Enroll and participate in Aerospace Studies Classes, Leadership Laboratory, and PT.
  • Meet the following age requirements. Applicants under the age of 18 must receive permission from a parent or legal guardian.

Program Participation


Minimum Age

Maximum Age

Maximum Waiverable Age
Program Entry










31 (as of 31 Dec)









42 (RPA)









Am I eligible to be AFROTC cadet while participating in Greek Life?

  • Cadets are welcome to participate in both Greek life and AFROTC.



Where do I go to complete the sports physical?

  • You may complete the sports physical either with your family doctor, or your university’s medical clinic.

Will AFROTC pay for the participatory sports physical?

  • No, AFROTC does not reimburse the cost of the sports physical.

Do I have to go to a Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) for my medical requirements?

  • No, AFROTC cadets complete their medical review through the Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board (DoDMERB). However, if you already have a current and qualifying MEPS physical, then you do not need to complete the DoDMERB process.

What is DoDMERB?

  • DoDMERB is one of the governing approval authorities for medical accession standards into the armed forces. During the semester, cadets will attend appointments at locally contracted medical offices to accomplish required DoDMERB medical appointments.

I have a physical/mental/dietary restriction, can I still commission through AFROTC?

  • DoDMERB will investigate the nature of your restriction, and determine if the condition does or does not meet armed forces medical accession standards.

Where can I find the list of medical disqualifications?

  • DoDMERB’s medical qualification standards are not available for public dissemination.



Can I serve in the guard or reserves and still be an AFROTC cadet?

  • Enlisted members in any military branch of the guard or reserves may commission through the AFROTC program, as long as the guard/reserves contract ends prior to the member’s projected date of commission. For additional information, speak with a cadre member.

Can I commission directly into the Air Guard or AF Reserves out of AFROTC?

  • The vast majority of AFROTC cadets commission onto Active Duty. There are limited opportunities to commission into the Guard or Reserves. Cadets may apply for these opportunities as contracted Professional Officer Course cadets.



If I transfer to a different university, can I still commission through AFROTC?

  • Yes. Most non-contract and contract cadets may transfer to another university offering the AFROTC program and continue to progress in their AFROTC curriculum. The transfer must be approved by both losing and gaining AFROTC Commanders
    • Note, that your projected degree plan should still meet projected graduation and commissioning dates and requirements.

Can I transfer to a different military service’s ROTC program?

  • Non-contract cadets may transfer to another service’s ROTC program. Completion of AFROTC credit may be accredited towards completion of the other ROTC program at the discretion of the gaining ROTC commander.
  • Contract cadets may request a transfer to another service’s ROTC program, and the request for release from your military service contract will be evaluated by higher headquarters. Approvals for inter-service transfers are not guaranteed.



Does joining AFROTC mean joining the military?

  • No, joining AFROTC does not mean automatically joining the military. If you are not receiving a military scholarship or a monetary stipend as a contracted cadet, then you have not entered the military.

Are contracted cadets military members?

  • Qualified, contracted cadets (those in the Professional Officer Course or who have accepted a scholarship) are enlisted into the Obligated Reserve Section (ORS) of the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) and are not members of the active duty military. These contracted cadets are in civilian status and are not subject to the provisions of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

What is the difference between enlisting and commissioning?

  • Enlisted members sign contracts in which they promise to serve in the military for a certain amount of time.
  • Commissioned members are appointed as officers, and continue military service until the member resigns their commission. Commissioned officers supervise enlisted members, and perform different job functions within their respective services.

How long is the Active Duty Service Commitment (ADSC) after graduation?

  • Most AFROTC cadets incur an ADSC of 4 years upon entering Extended Active Duty (EAD).
  • Scholarship cadets awarded scholarship entitlements beyond the original scholarship length will incur an additional month of ADSC for every month of scholarship entitlements accepted.
  • Cadets pursuing flying careers typically incur an ADSC between 6 to 10 years upon entering EAD, in addition to their career field’s initial training requirements.

When do I enter active duty after graduation?

  • New Lieutenants typically enter EAD between one week to one year following their commission. The variation in EAD is due to a variety of factors, to include security clearance processing, initial career training school-house capacity, and more.



What are the GPA requirements to be an AFROTC cadet?

  • To be in AFROTC, non-scholarship cadets must have and maintain a minimum CGPA of at least 2.0.
  • Scholarship cadets must have a minimum TGPA of at least 2.5. Multiple occurrences of TGPAs of less than 2.5 will result in scholarship suspension.

What is the best academic major for me to succeed as an AFROTC cadet?

  • Cadets may pursue any major, and still be an AFROTC cadet.
  • Cadets are classified into ‘Technical’ and ‘Non-Technical’ majors. While there are no specific academic major requirements to be in AFROTC, scholarships are merit-based, and many highly desired majors fall into the technical category. Therefore, students pursing a technical major may receive priority in the scholarship selection process.

How long is the AFROTC program?

  • AFROTC is a 4-year program.
  • Certain degree plans of study may require a 5th year of study to meet all AFROTC program and university degree requirements.
  • Some students may qualify for a 3-year or 3.5-year program. Contact a cadre member to see if this is an option for you.
  • At this time, AFROTC does not offer abbreviated (2-years or less) undergraduate commissioning programs unless you have a prior military service record.

I have schedule conflicts with the lecture or Leadership Laboratory. Can I still be a cadet?

  • Cadets are students who intend to commission. All cadets must complete both the lecture and laboratory portions of the program every year while a cadet in the program. Cadets with class conflicts may attend lecture at either WSU or UI at the instructor’s discretion.

Where do I attend Aerospace lectures? I’m a…

    • WSU student:  WSU-Pullman campus.
    • UI student:  UI-Moscow campus.
    • WU student: WSU-Pullman campus.
    • LCSC student:  UI-Moscow campus.



Do I need to have a military haircut to join?

  • No, not on day one. Upon beginning the program, you will be given guidance on when you will be expected to adhere to military hair standards.

Can I have tattoos as an AFROTC cadet?

  • Yes. Tattoos on the chest, back, arms, and legs are authorized for AFROTC cadets so long as they are not offensive, discriminatory, or vulgar in nature. Tattoos, brands, or body markings on the head, neck, face, tongue, lips, or scalp remain prohibited.

When do I get issued military uniforms?

  • PT Uniform.  Issued upon completion of the participatory sports physical.
  • Blues Uniform.  Issued the 2nd semester in the program if the cadet…
    • Is medically qualified to serve in the armed forces.
    • Meets physical fitness and BMI standards.
  • Airman Battle Uniform (ABU). Issued during your 2nd semester in the program if the cadet meets the requirements listed for the Blues Uniform.
    • Certain competitive professional development programs may require the utility uniform be issued at an earlier time.
  • Operational Camouflage Pattern (OCP).
    • At this time, AFROTC cadets are not authorized to wear OCPs.
  • General Military Cadets must return ALL uniforms to the Detachment over the Summer.

Where can I learn more about dress and appearance requirements?

  • Air Force appearance standards can be found in AFI 36-2903, Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel Program. The most current version of this instruction can be found on the internet.



When is detachment Physical Training (PT)?

  • WSU: Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays from 6-7AM
  • UI: Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays from 6-7AM
  • LCSC: Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays from 6-7AM at the UI campus
  • WU: Self paced with detachment directed workouts

Can I take a PE class instead of AFROTC PT?

  • No, AFROTC PT is factored into a cadet’s Leadership Laboratory grade.

As a student athlete, practice conflicts with AFROTC PT. Am I excused?

  • At Commander’s discretion, in-season intercollegiate athletes may be excused from PT attendance provided they pass the Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA) each semester.

Do I have to be able to pass the PFA on day one?

  • The detachment conducts at least one mock and one official PFA every semester. Cadets must be able to pass the PFA no later than the semester prior to Field Training Attendance.

When do I have to meet BMI standards?

  • Cadets may not be eligible for scholarships, field training, contracting, or Professional Course Officer membership if they do not meet BMI standards.

What are the current physical fitness standards?

  • Air Force fitness standards can be found in AFI 36-2905, Fitness Program. The most current version of this instruction can be found on the internet.



Can I join the United States Space Force (USSF) by joining AFROTC?

  • Yes.  At this time we commission officers directly into the USAF, and then upon entering active duty, transfer you to the USSF if you have been selected for a career field in the USSF. Only certain Air Force officer career fields are directly transferable to the USSF.  The following officer career fields will have the option to transfer to the USSF.
    • 13S:  Space Operations
    • 14N: Intelligence
    • 17C/D: Cyber Operations
    • 62E: Developmental Engineer
    • 63A: Acquisition Manager


Does the Detachment maintain records of my participation in AFROTC?

  • The Detachment maintains cadet records for 1 year after cadets drop from the program, are dis-enrolled, or commission.

Does the Detachment maintain records of my dis-enrollment DD Form 785?

  • No. Please contact the Holm Center Registrar, Disenrollment Section for DD Form 785 requests.

Read our Privacy & Security Notice

Current as of: 1 August, 2023